Thursday, July 15, 2010

Just Another Blog Post.

If I were to be completely honest with you, I would tell you that I am writing this post because I want to...not because I have some sort of profound content to discuss or a rant that I would like to extend to the masses.  I just felt like blogging.  More like, I just felt like clearing my head.  

I have found blogging to be one of the most relaxing, invigorating, and pleasant things to have in my life.  I need it.  I'm not quite sure how I've managed to live so long without it.  I've always journaled, and on occasion I still do when it's a more private topic, but this is a whole new world for me.  (Insert "Aladdin" soundtrack here for nostalgic purposes)  I find blogging more than just a way to organize my thoughts and share my opinions.  It's a place of refuge.  It's a place to be honest with others and myself in a way that just is.  And I thrive here.  

I found out recently that there are people who get paid lots of money to blog, and I thought to myself, "What a perfect job for me!"  And then I realized that unless you are a celeb who blogs (legit blogging...not a manager or other staff member) or are writing about business, or are a mom blogger, you don't get paid.  And I am none of those things.  So no money here.  But even if it was for one fleeting moment, I wondered what it would be like to just be and be paid to do something I love.  And then I thought a little harder and realized that it's already a reality for me.  

I am a painter, a creator, an artist, an actress, a thinker, and a writer.  All of those thing I love and they all give me the opportunity to just be.  And I get paid for it.  Call it luck, but I call it choice.  We all have gifts and abilities that were bestowed on us.  Some of those gifts we call "hobbies", or "those things that I love that I don't get paid for".  Sometimes when I'm asked what I do and reply "artist", I am given that little smirk that says "a girl with her head in the clouds...just another starving artist".  Little do they know that there are few days that I hate my life (because my work is my life) and if you saw a picture of me, I'm clearly not starving. :)  I am free to do all of the things that I am good at and more.  And the choice was mine.  I could have very easily just sat around and wasted my life away crying "poor me", but what's the point?  I know too many people that are in jobs that they hate and refuse to get out of. Now, I understand that we all have to be responsible and take care of our bills, so there are those stepping blocks along the way.  I have had jobs that I hated just like anyone else.  But instead of just wishing for more, I sought out more. I created more opportunities to do what I love. And along the way I realized something very important: who I am.  

It's like a friend of mine who I've know most of my life who was smart enough to do anything.  After college, she got married and had a normal job.  But she had always loved photography, and she was good at it. But instead of just allowing it be a mere hobby, she did something about it. She started to take a lot of pictures and learned everything that she could about cameras, lighting, and lenses.  She went to sessions and conventions all over the States, and then she took her brilliant creativity and did what she does best: take pictures.  And I must say, she's one of the most talented (and sought after) photographers that I know, and if you're ever out in Southern California, she's your girl!  (Check out Katie Neal Photography) But the point is that she worked hard and followed her dreams.  She played her cards and capitalized on her strengths.  

So once again, here I am.  Writing down my thoughts and hoping that maybe something that I have to say will resonate with someone else.  Maybe there was someone else who just needed an extra push.  Just don't let it be just another blog post....

1 comment: