Thursday, July 22, 2010

I Create, Therefore I Am.

Ever wonder what you’re supposed to be doing with your life?  I do all the time. But I think that I have finally entered into the world of The Creative.  Anything that gives me the opportunity to be creative is where I thrive and grow.  But I haven’t always been this way.  I’ve struggled along the way to figure out just what I am supposed to be doing. But they always say, “Better late then never!”

Some people have known what they wanted to “be when they grow up” since they were kids.  My husband is one of those.  He knew after his first paid show at 11 (he made a whopping $25) that he was going to be an entertainer when he grew up. (check him out at www.HarrisIII.com) Now, along the way he’s branched into other passions he has with business and entrepreneurship.  He does all of those things alongside being an entertainer.  Everything that he has his hands in fits with what he loves and how he wants to propel his business forward.

I am a little more free-spirited than that.  More fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants is how I live life.  I have my hands in multiple projects, learning, trying things out, and wandering around a little.  I’m sure there are times that I appear just as dazed and confused as when I started, but I am on a journey.  I have written, painted, cooked, designed, attempted new languages, sewn, created, acted, psychologized, and started businesses on this journey.  Each one has been a point of growth for me no matter whether I’ve failed or succeeded at it.  I have managed to learn a lot about myself and have flexed and re-shaped my personality, all the while learning what I love and realizing what I’m good at. 

I consistently find myself creating and re-creating.  It encompasses each area that I venture into. I love the artist part of my life because it gives me, “…Freedom for the full expression of my personality.” (Gandhi)  There are no parameters to stay within and I can send my mind to the edges of the Universe for ideas.  With this type of freedom, the possibilities are quite literally, endless. 

As for what's happening in my life, next year has set itself up to be new and exciting for me on so many levels.  I have officially started to peek my head around the corner of possibility.  I have new art in the works, 2 new businesses to launch, and multiple partnerships with Global social justice organizations rocking and rolling.  I am, for lack of better words, stoked.  (and extraordinarily busy) I find myself, for the first time ever, pushing myself to the point of being nervous in business, art, and changing the world.  I have a great team and group of friends that are encouraging me along the way. It's because of God's grace and amazing people like my husband, my friends, my family, and our former church community at The Journey Church that I am where I am today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment