Saturday, June 26, 2010

But what does it mean?

As both an artist and a lover of art, I know firsthand just how easy it is to paint something that has so much meaning to me, but very little to everyone else. When I paint, it's a part of my soul. It's an expression of emotion and many times a glimpse of what is going on in my life. But if you aren't the artist, it's oftentimes impossible to see that in a simple painting. That being said, I plan on taking a few of my pieces and giving you a glimpse into the soul behind them. The raw emotion. Hopefully then you can have a better understanding of why I do what I do...

"Light"
30x40

"From within or from behind, a light shines through us upon things, and makes us aware that we are nothing, but the light is all."  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson (quote lines border)


I was commissioned late last year by a small church group called "House of Light" here in Nashville to do a piece for their opening night of worship.  So I sat around for a while and I began to think about what we, as Christians, should look like to the rest of the world in a literal form of light. So I painted the city as a symbol of where many of us live.  Then I painted a man holding "balloons" that were a dull ivory color. (the balloons are small stone and ivory buttons) Those balloons were a small representation of complacency, mistrust, lack of care, those who have turned away. Then there was a much larger white button that looks like it has a giant starburst coming out of it. The largest button is a literal representation of of what Christians should look like.  We should stand out among the rest. We should be trying to break free from what everyone else would consider "normal".  We should be illuminating the world on so many different levels.  In reality, just as Emerson said, "...we are nothing, but the light is all."


Hopefully this gives you a little glimpse into what I was trying to say and accomplish in this piece.  Maybe it will give you a better appreciation for what the art is saying, all the while being to enjoy pretty art. 


As Pablo Picasso once said, "Painting is like keeping a diary".  Welcome to mine.

3 comments:

  1. great explanation. Gail and I really like your expressive art. Keep it up!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bill (and Gail) for the words fo encouragement. I love what I do and just want to give people the opportunity to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate,

    What I love about art is it speaks differently to people much like scripture. I have to say what I first saw in this painting was a person holding on to different things. Much like our control and holding things under our own power. The thing is the man was also trying to contain or hold down God. We control so much in our lives like holding things within our power. I also notice them person was bending backward toward the star or sun. It was as if holding back the object was causing strain. I think we all do that. We put constraints on what God can do. But until we let go of the reigns can God truly work. His power is greater than ours and he is able to do more than we ever thought.

    Love the painting. I usually post on BJ's blog but have followed yours. Thanks for the viewpoint of your painting. I love the expression.

    ReplyDelete