Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Mexican Chicken Chowder

Since my husband and I spend the majority of our time on the road, being home brings out the chef in me.  I love to cook so I take any chance that I can. The only problem is that because we are in and out so often, I have to use the groceries I buy up before I leave so I don't waste anything. I had a hodgepodge of items in my fridge last night that I used to make Mexican Chicken  Chowder. It's like Corn chowder and tortilla soup all in one. And it was really good!

So here is the recipe that I know that you're dying to get your hands. ;-)


Kate's Mexican Chicken Chowder
2 boneless skinless organic chicken breasts
4 pieces of cooked bacon, chopped
1 small white onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 medium yukon potatoes, finely diced
1 poblano pepper, roasted and diced (peel burnt skin off)
1 red pepper, roasted and diced (peel burnt skin off)
1 15oz can white sweet corn
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 cups 1% milk
1/2 cup hot water
2 Tbps olive oil
2 chicken buillion cubes
2 Tbps cooking sherry or dry white wine
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp mexican spice powder
2 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
3 tbs unsalted butter

Place 5qt Dutch oven on stove on medium heat with 2 Tbps of olive oil. Coat chicken in Mexican spice powder, dice, and cook in bottom of dutch oven until cooked through. Remove chicken and set aside. Add butter, onions, garlic, and potatoes to Dutch oven and cook until tender, about 5-8 min. Add all other ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for about 35 minutes, until soup thickens. Serve with optional shredded cheese and diced avocados.

Makes 6 servings.

Hope you guys enjoy! Great on a cold night or rainy day, which seems to be the weather quite often these days here in Nashville.

2 comments:

  1. Mniam.That sounds very tastily.First on oil and then on butter.It's very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The oil is just keep the chicken from sticking to the bottom of the Dutch oven. The butter is where all the flavor is.

    ReplyDelete